Ideasicle Case Study: Lowe's Home Improvement
“We received more ideas than an agency would have delivered in easily 6 months. And for a heck of a lot less money. Not only that, but they were GREAT ideas. Like, really great. ”
- Liz Doten, Manager of Private Brands & Creative Services, Lowe's Home Improvement
The need: brand ideas for kobalt tools.
The marketing team at Lowe's approached Ideasicle with a branding problem. Lowe's had a house brand of tools called "Kobalt Tools" that lacked any kind of identity. Ideasicle's job was to help the Kobalt team uncover a potent brand idea for the company. An idea that would galvanize all marketing efforts and stop what was considered "random acts of marketing."
The ideasicle approach:
1. Creative Brief Development - A series of strategic conference calls and research reviews led by Will Burns resulting in a powerful single-page creative brief.
2. Expert Recruitment - we put the call out to all 28 Ideasicle Experts. Seventeen were ready and able. We chose the perfect four based on experience and the talents we needed. In this case: CD David Baldwin, CD Mike Howard, CD Michael Ancevic and a strategist we call The Sweeper (not all of our Experts wish to be publicly known) who currently works at Apple.
3. Ideation Round One - Ideasicle presented 12 different platforms to the Kobalt team.
4. Ideation Round Two - the Kobalt team loved one of the ideas from round one—”Leave Your Mark,” an alternative line to the “Make It Yours” idea— so in round two we shifted our focus on go-to-market ideas inspired by the approved brand idea.
The entire process took about three weeks beginning to end and cost a flat fee of $25,000.
Quote from our lead client, Liz Doten, so you can get the feel of her experience.
"Recently I took over the in-house creative reigns on the Lowe’s Home Improvement private brands, and while I have a sizable team of terrific designers, what I don’t have are big conceptual thinkers. Our hallmark brand, Kobalt Tools, needed strategy refinement, a big campaign idea and tagline. Enter Will and Ideasicle.
I have followed the progress of Ideasicle since its beginning and knew immediately that this nimble, little creative think-tank could be exactly what Kobalt needs. And boy, was I right. Yesterday we wrapped up a project with them, and we are unanimously thrilled with the results. For a very reasonable flat fee (which really helps for budget approvals) and in just a few short weeks over the holidays, we received more ideas than an agency would have delivered in easily 6 months. And for a heck of a lot less money. Not only that, but they were GREAT ideas. Like, really great. Now my internal team has the marching orders they need to execute and we couldn’t be happier. We will absolutely be engaging Will and his experts again on future projects and on our other private brands here at Lowe’s. And if you’re smart, you’ll hire them too."
We loved it as much as Liz did. Nothing more fun to us than coming up with ideas. We can do the same for you.